Tools I use
A minimalistic toolkit for minimalistic developerThu 30 june 2016
In any human activity more complex than harvesting fruit from bushes, a proper tool is needed.
Thus, choosing the right tool for a single task is essential to get that task done properly, and the Unix philosophy has a lot to teach us on this. After many years, I still feel that:
- most of the tools we use are overengineered to perform too many tasks
- having a tool aiming to perform too much means having a lot to install on the system, and a lot to configure
- a complex configuration leads to complex backups and recovery systems
This is why, over the course of the last few years, I have been heavily considering minimalism when picking my tools.
- Electro7's custom lemonbar
- Vim (with not more than 15 plugins)
Sync and backup
Tools I don't use
- any Google service, except Gmail (mailing lists only) and Google Calendar